I live in a city that gets A LOT of rain. I often jokingly hashtag my photos #Raincouver & the statistics bear this out: 164 days with rain per year. I also bike rain or shine, & have been doing so for over 15 years, so I consider myself somewhat of an expert of the topic of biking in the rain. I had some thoughts recently while riding in the rain that I thought I'd share with you:
- Getting soaked, then changing into warm dry clothes, maybe having a hot shower to warm up, reminds us of the modern conveniences/luxuries we take for granted. I don't think it's good to be too comfortable all the time & getting wet when you're on the way home from somewhere isn't really that bad in the grand scheme of things. I'll admit that getting drenched on the way TO somewhere really does suck though.
- It rains a lot here, as I mentioned above, but it doesn't necessarily rain all day. Often the times you actually need to be out & about, it's not coming down. & you feel like you won a prize or got away with something because you dodged the showers.
- Rain does increase the chance of rusting & means you should probably do a bit more upkeep on your bike, but I'm terrible at this...
- My kids don't mind getting wet. I assume it's because that's what they're used to & I don't make a big fuss about it. I dress them appropriately (muddy buddies, gumboots, maybe sunglasses if it's really driving rain) & they're fine.
- Even when it's raining quite a bit, if you have a longish coat & wear gumboots, you won't get that wet on shorter rides. My knees get a bit of a sprinkle, but not enough to justify changing my pants.
- Just like when you're driving a car, it's worth being a little more careful in the rain. The roads are especially slippery immediately after it's started raining & there's a thin layer of water & oil on the roads.
- Not going out because you don't want to bike in the rain is also cool. Staying in a cozy warm house on a rainy day & hanging out over a lego set, or a movie on the laptop is nice once in a while.
What about you? Do you ride in the rain or are you more likely to drive or bus when it's precipitating? Got any good stories about getting soaked on your bike?
Follow Spokesmama here too: