Monday, February 25, 2013

A Day in the Life

A whole lotta this...

After my first full week at school in the PR program at SFU, plus a little 'networking' with my classmates (read: pigging out on panko-breaded chicken strips & fries with tonnes of ketchup), I was ready for a weekend.

Sunday was my 'Saturday' (keep this in mind when you're all yelling TGIF--I've got one more school day to go! :P) & I spent the first half of it researching potential practicum placements. In the afternoon, after we actually managed to get Sprout to nap, we headed to the BC Home & Garden Show. I have to admit, I was underwhelmed. True, we did get there in the last hour & a half of the show, but I was expecting it to look a bit less like a trade show, I guess. I didn't see any kid-friendly stuff there either, except one booth with wooden playground structure thingies.

Today, my 'Sunday', I had a really productive day. I biked Sprout to daycare by a little after 9am, picked up a book at the library that i need for school (Canadian Press Style Guide) & biked back home in time to do an information interview with the lovely Jeanette of Limelite PR, via Skype. Between that & the time my stomach rumbling got the better of me, I did an overhaul of my LinkedIn profile.

While munching on a bagel & an apple, I sorted out some Sprog-related business & responded to literally dozens of emails relating to school stuff & my board work with the Mount Pleasant Family Centre Society. I got started on some of my homework & then realized it was time to go pick up Sprout from daycare, so I zipped over by bike again.

With just a little bit of this.
Once Sprout is home, it's pretty hard to just jump back into work, so I made us some smoothies (banana, mango, soy milk, oatmeal, hemp hearts & chia, in case you were wondering) while he rode around on his collection of ride-on toys on the deck. Oli got home at this point & I was able to get back to work for an hour or two while he made dinner & Sprout alternately tried to sit on me or hijack my computer. I managed to get started on redoing my resume & do a little writing work for Hawksworth as well, despite some Gmail issues, dinner & toddler tantrums.

At just after 10pm, I'm pretty tired. Also proud that I got so much done today on only five or six hours of sleep. Here's hoping I can sustain this productivity for the next, oh, eight weeks.

What was your day like today?

Like what you see here? Subscribe to The Sprog & don't miss another post!


  1. Whew! I'm tired just reading this. You go, mama! :)

  2. Ha! I thought I'd be pooped by the end of the day, but I wasn't. Or not more so than usual, anyway. ;)

  3. Wow you are one busy lady. Great stuff though!

    1. Thanks! It's been a bit of a challenge going from sleeping until 9 & making my own schedule with only an hour or two of work here & there to full time, five days a week, daycare pickups, packing lunches & homework. But a week in, I feel like I'm into the swing of things!


Thanks for commenting! (I've had to enable comment moderation on older posts to thwart spammers, so your post may not appear right away.)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...