- East Vancouver Farmers Market opened July 29, 1995. That day, 500 eager Vancouverites descended upon 8 skeptical farmers in the parking lot of Croatian Cultural Centre. They sold out within a couple of hours.
- The second week of East Vancouver Farmers Market, there were twice as many farmers & 800-1200 people were attending on a weekly basis. The market ran for 11 weeks and generated almost $40,000 in sales.
- Now the VFM operates 9 weekly markets & hosts 425,000 people annually.
- VFM supports 250 small BC producers & helps keep over 6,000 acres of farmland in production.
- Each year, VFM contributes more than $15 million in direct & indirect benefits to the local & regional economy.
To celebrate the anniversary, the Vancouver Farmers Markets will be partying the whole season. You can join in the fun too!
- VFM will be hosting a series of 20th Anniversary events, contests, limited edition merch, & festivities.
- Have some sweet birthday treats with VFM on opening day at all of the markets.
- Enter their #VFM20 photo contest on Instagram for a chance to win $100 in Market Money!
- Take a walk down memory lane with Moments in History panels at the markets, & follow VFM's #tbt & Founding Vendor profiles on Facebook.
- VFM is launching an exclusive collection of 20th Anniversary Market Merchandise, including t-shirts, tote bags, & a limited edition 20th Anniversary $5 Market Money Token!
Follow Spokesmama here too: